Which vehicle categories are affected by the LEZ and which are not?
The LEZ will apply to most vehicles. There are only few exceptions.
The following vehicles need to meet the entry requirements
- M1 (passenger car / motor caravan): vehicles for up to 8 passengers + driver
- M2 (minibus): vehicles for more than 8 passengers + driver and with a mass < 5 tons
- M3 (bus/coach): vehicles for more than 8 passengers + driver and with a mass > 5 tons
- N1 (van): vehicles with a mass < 3.5 tons (weight classes I, II and III)
- N2 (light truck): vehicles with a mass > 3.5 tons and < 12 tons
- N3 (heavy truck): vehicles with a mass > 12 tons
Agricultural vehicles with an output of max. 130 kW may enter the LEZ from 1/1/2020 until 31/12/2028 after a free registration. As of 1/1/2029, these agricultural vehicles must comply with phase 5 emission standards.
Agricultural vehicles with an output higher than 130 KW must comply with phase 3b (IIIb) standards from 1/1/2020. When the LEZ rules are tightened again in 2025, only agricultural vehicles that are phase 4 (IV) or higher may enter the LEZ. From 1/1/2028 only phase 5 (V) agricultural vehicles may enter the LEZ.
The following vehicles do not have to meet the entry requirements
- electric vehicles
- hydrogen-powered vehicles
- plug-in hybrid vehicles emitting up to 50 grams of CO2/km
- vehicles for transporting people with disabilities *
- priority vehicles
- vehicles of the armed forces
- mobile cranes
- abnormal loads
Have a look at the entry requirements