Vehicle that provides assistance during emergency situations
If a vehicle that provides assistance during emergency situations doesn't meet the entry requirements, you can buy a permit for the LEZ
Table of contents
Euro 3 or 4 norm diesel-powered vehicles that provide assistance during emergency situations and rescue operations at the request of the fire brigade, police, army, civil protection agency or road authorities are allowed to enter the low-emission zone (LEZ) with a temporary permit. This transitional measure enables drivers to take measures towards 2025, when the entry requirements will become more stringent. The permit is only valid in Ghent and not in any other city with a low-emission zone.
Vehicles for emergency situations are vehicles that provide assistance during emergency situations and rescue operations at the request of the fire brigade, police, army, civil protection agency or road authorities. Examples include recovery vehicles, crane trucks and turntable ladders.
The amount depends on the vehicle category and the period of validity of the permit. You can find your vehicle category on your vehicle's registration document in section J. You can apply for a permit for different periods of time: one week, one month, four months or one year.
- Euro 4 standard diesel-powered vehicles that fall in the aforementioned category qualify for a temporary permit at a reduced price.
- Euro 3 standard diesel-powered vehicles that fall in the aforementioned category qualify for a temporary permit at the regular price.
- your registration document
- picture of front, rear and side of the vehicle with a clear view of the number plate
- proof that the vehicle provides assistance during emergency situations or rescue operations, such as a contract with the client
- the European Certificate of Conformity if applicable
- You have an appointment? Bring supporting documents and a bank card with you. Cash payments result in additional waiting time. Cheques are not accepted.
Make an appointment to buy your temporary permit (+32 9 210 10 30).