If you drive a not admitted vehicle used for the inspection of installations of public interest, you can buy a permit to enter the LEZ.
Table of contents
Do you have a specific Euro 3 or 4 standard diesel-powered vehicle used for the supervision, inspection and maintenance of infrastructure and installations of public interest
? If this is the case, you can enter the low-emission zone with a temporary permit. This transitional measure enables drivers to take measures towards 2026, when the entry requirements will become more stringent
. The permit is only valid in Ghent
and not in any other city with a low-emission zone.
These vehicles involve specific vehicles of utility companies, distribution system operators, road authorities and their subcontractors. Examples include sewage cleaning vehicles and tramway maintenance vehicles. The vehicles are used for specific interventions on public roads.
These vehicles are easily recognisable by their construction, equipment or other permanent features to perform specific tasks. The engine and work sections of the vehicle have to be one inseparable unit. Equipment that has merely been secured to the vehicle does not qualify as a permanent feature.
Please note that vehicles such as vans and tractors used for street maintenance activities and garbage trucks do not fall into this category. These vehicles qualify for a temporary permit at the regular price
The amount depends on the vehicle category and the period of validity of the permit. You can find your vehicle category on your vehicle's registration document in section J. You can apply for a permit for different periods of time: one week, one month, four months or one year.
- Euro 4 standard diesel-powered vehicles that fall in the aforementioned category qualify for a temporary permit at a reduced price.
- Euro 3 standard diesel-powered vehicles that fall in the aforementioned category qualify for a temporary permit at the regular price.
- your registration document
- letter from client
- picture of front and rear of the vehicle with a clear view of the number plate
- picture confirming that the vehicle is specially equipped for the supervision, inspection and maintenance of infrastructure and installations of public interest
- the European Certificate of Conformity if applicable
- You have an appointment? Bring supporting documents and a bank card with you. Cash payments result in additional waiting time. Cheques are not accepted.
Submit your application no earlier than 4 months in advance and no later than 1 day after entering the LEZ
. This ensures that your number plate appears on the list of allowed vehicles
in time and prevents you from being fined
Note: The decision regarding your request is only final once you have received a confirmation. Processing your request can take up to 14 days. If you enter the Ghent low-emission zone before having received confirmation, you do so at your own risk. If it appears afterwards that your request was denied because you did not meet all requirements, you can be fined. You are therefore advised to register in advance.