Registration for the LEZ: adapted vehicle or increased allowance

Is your vehicle is adapted to your disability or do you have an increased allowance? Then you can apply for an exemption to enter the LEZ.

What is it about? 

  • Do you drive a vehicle that is not authorised to enter the low-emission zone? Then you can get an exemption, if you meet the conditions. You then need to register your vehicle for free.  

The registration is valid for up to 5 years. 

What are the conditions? 


  • you have a parking permit for a person with a disability 
  • the vehicle is registered in the same name as the parking card or in the name of a family member with the same domicile address 

Are you a minor and have one of these parking cards? Then both parents with a different domicile address can register for free in the case of co-parenting. 

In the case of an adapted vehicle: 

  • the vehicle was adapted to the disability 

Persons with an increased allowance: 

  • you receive an increased allowance in healthcare 

How much does it cost? 

The registration is free. 

What do you need? 

In the case of an adapted vehicle: 

  • proof that the vehicle has been adapted to the disability: approval certificate or individual approval certificate issued by the FPS (Federal Public Service) Mobility or competent public authority 

Please note: for an adapted foreign vehicle, you will also need the registration certificate. 

Persons with an increased allowance in healthcare: 

  • no additional proof is needed: the City checks whether you are entitled to an increased allowance in the Social Security database.  

What do you need to do?

Register your vehicle online. 

Need help? Make an appointment for: 

Register your vehicle no later than 1 day after you entered the low-emission zone. That way, you will avoid a fine. 

Please note: The decision on your application is not final until you receive confirmation. The processing of your application may take up to 14 days. If you enter the low-emission zone in Ghent before receiving confirmation, you do so at your own risk. If your application is subsequently rejected, you may receive a fine. It is therefore best to register in advance.