Vehicle with a foreign number plate
If your vehicle meets the entry requirements for the low emission zone, you have to register it first. It's free of charge.
Table of Contents
- You are allowed to enter? Then you need to register this vehicle. The registration is free of charge and valid in all Flemish cities with a low emission zone until 31 December 2024 (Diesel vehicle with Euro standard 5) or until 31 August 2027 (Diesel vehicle with Euro standard 6). You can apply for an extension for the next time period.
Attention: Do you drive a vehicle with a Dutch license plate? Then you do not need to register the vehicle. The Dutch vehicle details are automatically retrieved from the RDW's vehicle registration register.
- You are not allowed to enter? Please check whether you can buy a paid permit for 1 week, 1 month, 4 months or 1 year or a LEZ day pass for this vehicle.
- your vehicle's foreign registration document
- your European Certificate of Conformity
- You also have to register a foreign rental car. Do you not have the registration certificate? If so, you will need an official document stating the number plate, the date of 1st registration and the Euro standard.
Note: The decision regarding your request is only final once you have received a confirmation. Processing your request can take up to 14 days. If you enter the Ghent low emission zone before having received confirmation, you do so at your own risk. If it appears afterwards that your request was denied because you did not meet all requirements, you can be fined. You are therefore advised to register in advance.