Employment and registration of EU citizens

Here you find out more on the employment and registration of EU citizens.

Who is considered an EU citizen?

An EU citizen is every person who holds the nationality of one of the following countries: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, the Czech Republic, and Sweden. Citizens who hold the nationality of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland will be treated as EU citizens with regard to employment and registration.

What are the rules for employment and registration of EU citizens?

The Belgian government amended the Aliens Act on 25 April 2007 in order to adjust to the European Citizens’ Rights Directive, thus enlarging the implementation of the principles of EU citizenship and free movement for EU citizens. The amendments ensure that Belgian governments do not impose restrictions on EU citizens, other than those they impose on Belgian citizens.

EU citizens must be able to present an identity card, passport or any other official document proving their EU nationality. In order to be legally employed they do not have to present Annex 19, an electronic residence card E or E+ or any other ‘residence document’ or work permit.

In order to be able to complete the DIMONA declaration, employers can apply for a social security number (Creabis number) to Sigedis for EU citizens who do not have a national number yet. Applications are processed within 24 hours. V.u.: Mieke Hullebroeck – stadssecretaris – Stadhuis, Botermarkt 1, 9000 Gent

How to apply for a Creabis number?

What does an EU citizen have to do?

European citizens who intend to reside in Belgium for less than three months must register with the Migration Office or Dienstencentrum within ten days after arrival and must be issued an Annex 3ter document. This is not a registration in the National Register yet.

An EU citizen who intends to reside in Belgium for more than three months must apply for an ‘attestation of registration’ (Annex 19) within three months after arrival, in order to be issued an Annex 8 or E card. The EU citizen will be listed in the National Register.

Employers are not responsible for their EU employees’ registration. Employers cannot be sanctioned for this. Employees, on the other hand, risk an administrative fine.