How to efficiently manage your waste.
The City of Ghent and IVAGO, the local waste collecting and treating company, deals with the rubbish. People who reduce their household waste and carefully sort the remaining waste will certainly be rewarded for their efforts. Indeed, we abide by the Polluter Pays Principle.
Just do it!
Together we can reduce the amount of waste! Here are some tips and tricks:
- Carry your shopping in a reusable bag.
- Don’t buy overpacked products.
- Choose fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Opt for beer and soft drinks in bottles with deposit.
- Opt for water from the tap: in general, excellent drinking water. Apart from that, it is much cheaper than bottled water and you have no waste.
- Ask for a “geen reclamedrukwerk” letterbox sticker (no advertising) at IVAGO (Proeftuinstraat 43) or at the City Shop (Woodrow Wilsonplein 1).
Ask for the waste collection calendar
The waste collection calendar is distributed annually in December. This gives the dates of collection for different kinds of waste and recycled rubbish, and the rules for separating and collection procedures. Please note that the collection dates differ from address to address. You can ask for the correct calendar by e-mailing your full address to Ivago
with subject “calendar”. You can also consult the calendar on the website of Ivago
In accordance with police regulations you are only allowed to put your household waste outside on the day of collection from 5 am. However, the waste collecting teams start collecting at 7 am! If you put your waste outside too late, it won’t be collected and you will have to take it back inside.
An exception to the rule applies when you live in one of the 46 streets where the waste is only collected from 11 am. In these streets, rubbish should only be put out on the day of collection from 5 am. Check the list of the 46 streets.
Putting outside household waste on the wrong day, in an inappropriate recipient or depositing your garbage in public waste baskets is considered illegal dumping. Such violations are liable to severe penalties! Identified offenders can expect a fine of approximately 120 euro and a bill of 250 euro cleanup costs.
Purchase of IVAGO bags
The IVAGO bags can be purchased in most supermarkets, local shops, the City
Shop (Woodrow Wilsonplein 1) and at IVAGO (Proeftuinstraat 43).
Hints for smooth waste management at your student room
- Display the collection calendar in a clearly visible place.
- Appoint a waste management co-ordinator or draw up a rota.
- Read our guidelines on waste management.