Residents permit

If you have a domicile where paid parking applies, you can request a permit which allows free street parking in your resident zone.

The Parking Plan introduced more resident parking areas. This gives residents the opportunity to park their car closer to home.

You can park for free with a residents permit in your own resident parking area. You can only request this if you are domiciled in a residence parking area and if you own a car.

The first residents permit is for free. A second - for a second car at the same address - costs 250 euros each year. This way, the City of Ghent wants to encourage its residents to consciously consider other alternatives for a second car, such as private parking services or car sharing. It is not possible to demand a third residents permit.

How to request a residents permit:

There are two ways to request a residents permit:

  • Through the online service desk (in Dutch)
    Go to The fastest way to request a permit is to sign in with your federal token or your electronic identity card. In order to sign in with your identity card, you need to use your PIN code and a card reader. If you do not have a federal token nor a card reader, you can request a code. To get this code, you will need to send a scan or photo of both front an back of your identity card to You will then receive a username and a login.
  • At the reception desk: Mobiliteitsbedrijf Stad Gent, Sint-Michielsplein 9, 9000 Gent
    You can request a permit at the reception desk of Mobiliteitsbedrijf of the City of Ghent. You can visit the reception desk from Monday to Friday (except on Thursday) from 9 am until 12.30 pm and additionally on Wednesday afternoon from 2 pm until 4 pm. You can also make an appointment at or by phone at 09 210 10 10 to visit the reception desk. Appointments are each Tuesday between 4.30 pm and 7 pm.

You will no longer receive a yellow paper card, but a digital parking permit. The traffic wardens will only check your registration plate. Those who still have a paper card can use it until it expires. After expiration you can prolong your permit by requesting it online.

Which documents do you need to provide?

You need to bring your identity card and the registration certificate of your vehicle.

  • If you are not the owner of the car, you will need to bring an additional certificate of the insurance company which mentions that you are at least a co-driver of the car, together with your name and the registration plate of the vehicle.
  • If this concers a company or lease car, you need to bring the registration certificate of the vehicle, along with a copy of the lease contract or a certificate of your employer which states that you are the first driver of the car.
  • If you are a manager and domiciled in the residents zone, you need to bring a copy of the Belgisch Staatsblad with your company statutes or an extract of the Kruispuntbank van Ondernemingen (KBO).