Short-term residence in Ghent: annex 3

Reporting as a student in Ghent if you are not a EU Member State, EEA country or Swiss national and will stay here for a maximum of 90 days.

If you have a valid type C visa, if you are exempt from the type C visa requirement or if you have a valid residence card of a Schengen member state and if you will stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days, you need to apply for a declaration of arrival (annex 3) (in Dutch - if you need any assistance contact Migration).

This application procedure does not result in a principal place of residence (domicile) in Belgium. That is why you:

  • cannot apply for a parking permit for local residents or take a driving test.
  • are not allowed to work.

How to apply for a declaration of arrival (annex 3)?

Report your presence by means of the e-form within 3 working days.  All steps of the form have to be followed in order to complete the application.

You will be asked to upload a scan of your passport and type C visa / valid residence card issued by a Schengen member state.

You will receive a confirmation e-mail after we have received your e-form.

After your file is processed you will receive the annex 3 through e-mail.

Can you extend the validity of the annex 3?

In principle you need to apply for registration via a so-called change of status if you want to stay in Belgium longer than the remaining period of your short-term residence. 

The Immigration Office grants an extension in exceptional cases.  You can apply for the extension by means of the e-form.

Upload the following documents: 

  • Proof of travel medical insurance (valid for the duration of any extended stay in the entire Schengen area with a minimum cover of € 30,000)
  • A certificate issued by the educational institution with clear indication of the end date of the studies