Short-term residence in Ghent: annex 3
Reporting as a student in Ghent if you are not a EU Member State, EEA country or Swiss national and will stay here for a maximum of 90 days.
If you have a valid type C visa, if you are exempt from the type C visa requirement or if you have a valid residence card of a Schengen member state and if you will stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days, you need to apply for a declaration of arrival (annex 3) (in Dutch - if you need any assistance contact Migration).
This application procedure does not result in a principal place of residence (domicile) in Belgium. That is why you:
- cannot apply for a parking permit for local residents or take a driving test.
- are not allowed to work.
How to apply for a declaration of arrival (annex 3)?
Report your presence by means of the e-form within 3 working days. All steps of the form have to be followed in order to complete the application.
You will be asked to upload a scan of your passport and type C visa / valid residence card issued by a Schengen member state.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail after we have received your e-form.
After your file is processed, the Student Counter will send you an e-mail to invite you to come to the counter with the original documents and to collect your annex 3.
You will need to bring:
- a valid passport
- a valid visa (for third-country nationals who need to have a visa) or a valid residence card issued by a Schengen member state
- the correct and full postal address
- 1 recent passport photo that meets the legal quality requirements (in Dutch)
- € 14 (in cash or by debit card).
Can you extend the validity of the annex 3?
In principle you need to apply for registration via a so-called change of status if you want to stay in Belgium longer than the remaining period of your short-term residence.
The Immigration Office grants an extension in exceptional cases. You can apply for the extension by means of the e-form.
Upload the following documents:
- Proof of travel medical insurance (valid for the duration of any extended stay in the entire Schengen area with a minimum cover of € 30,000)
- A certificate issued by the educational institution with clear indication of the end date of the studies