How to get to Ghent?
How to get to Ghent by plane, bus, car and train.
1. By air
Belgium’s international airport is situated in Zaventem, on the outskirts of Brussels. From Brussels Airport, you can travel to Ghent by train:
Most mayor airlines can be found via this link.
If you are planning to travel by bus or coach, you can check Eurolines, CheckMyBus or Busbud. You will find a bus that can get you from A to B at an affordable price.
If you decide to come by car, you will find Ghent at the crossroads of two large motorways:
- E17 connecting Lisbon, Paris, Ghent, Antwerp, Köln, Copenhagen, Stockholm;
- E40 connecting Calais, Ghent, Brussels, Frankfurt, Vienna, Budapest, Sophia, Istanbul.
Ghent’s city centre is a pedestrian zone, so no cars are allowed. Some student residences have free parking spaces in the immediate surroundings.
There are six railway stations in Ghent:
- Ghent Sint-Pieters is the biggest one and provides for trains to Brussels, Antwerp, Ostend, Bruges, etc.
- Ghent Dampoort: trains to Antwerp, Eeklo, Kortrijk and Ostend.
- Smaller stations: Gentbrugge, Drongen, Merelbeke and Wondelgem.
If you are planning to travel by train frequently, the following tickets provide for a cheaper journey:
More information on train tickets can be found on the website of the NMBS.
You can also travel by high-speed train from Brussels: