Discover exhibitions, concerts, graffiti and film
Ghent offers you a fascinating cultural cocktail with a rich history and a lot of street art.
Day and night, Ghent is always quite alive! The city boasts a unique mixture of historical architecture and contemporary events, splendid renowned museums, theatres, opera and film. The city also offers a wealth of exhibitions and other cultural events.
For lovers of contemporary art, design, fine arts, old masters, industrial heritage, psychiatry, visual arts and people who are interested in the story of Ghent.
Ghent is a graffiti-friendly city, with many works by artists such as Roa and Bué the Warrior. Discover a different side of Ghent with the ‘Sorry, not sorry’ street art plan of Ghent, a tour by bike or on foot.
The City of Ghent has established a solid reputation as a music centre, with a rich tradition and an inclusive culture approach. This is proved by the impressive number of concert halls, education facilities and bars where they play music. Numerous actors give shape to the vast and diversified Ghent music scenery.
- Handelsbeurs: Pop, rock, classical, jazz and world music.
- Vooruit: Theatre, dance, performance, festivals, lectures, concerts and parties.
- De Centrale: Music, theatre, film from all over the world. A passionate plea for a successful multicultural society.
- Bijloke Gent Music Centre: Classic and contemporary music and jazz.
- Opera Ghent: Music theatre, ballet, concerts and recitals.
- Kompass Club: A place where egos are left in the cloakroom and electronical music brings people closer together.
- Charlatan: Popular nightlife and music café.
- Trefpunt: Small music and theatre café.
- Kinky Star: a non-profit youth and music center which promotes non-commercial genres and young debuting artists.
- Afsnis: Pub with sometimes live music.
- Bar Mirwaar: Music bar with a homely feel.
During the ten-day Ghent Festivities in July, the city centre is transformed into one giant festival. The Ghent Jazz Festival and the Festival of Flanders earned Ghent the title of UNESCO Creative City of Music. In October, film lovers and stars flock to the Ghent Film Festival.
- Kinepolis Ghent: the large and commercial cinema
- Studio Skoop: cinema showing more alternative movies
- Sphinx: small cinema with quality movies
- Film-plateau: cinema owned by Ghent University
- KASKcinema: cinema owned by University College Ghent